There was a time where I wore a rather cynical hat when it came to awards. I’d look at the projects that won and the effort that would go into creating the award pitches and see holes, sub-standard work or missed opportunities. But with more experience on both client and agency sides, I am far more forgiving. And sometimes astounded or amazed at the work that does get done. After all, almost every piece of work that is seen in public has been pored over, compromised, championed and changed. It’s the rough and ready world of creative collaboration – and it’s harder than a dozen series of Mad Men would have you believe.
Which is why it’s important to celebrate the fact that great work is done and that there are scores of young marketers showing the leadership to make it happen.
Sponsored by Telstra, the finalists for the ADMA Young Creative of the Year are:
- Tara Mckenty, Creative Director, Google APAC, for ‘Make your own luck’
- Sal Cavallaro, Art Director, 303Lowe Sydney, for ‘An Eye into NY’
- Brendan Graham, Copywriter and Strategist, Soap Creative, for ‘Under 30 invite’
- Scott Nolan, Senior Art Director, Drifter, for ‘Flirt with your future’
- Elliott White, Junior Copywriter, JWT, for ‘Launch brand you.’
And the finalists for the ADMA Young Marketer of the Year are:
- Sue Kim, Product Marketing Specialist, Adobe
- Richard Schmid, Advertising Manager, Dick Smith
- Lucas Black-Dendle, Strategic Planner, Whybin\TBWA Group Sydney
- Allister Hercus, Social Media Strategist, MEC
- Penny Richardson, Head of Customer Marketing, Foxtel.
The overall winners will be announced on Thursday, 30 October at ADMA’s Australian Creativity and Effectiveness Awards (AC&E Awards) at The Star, Pyrmont. The winning creative campaign will be rolled out nationally as a call to entry for the 2015 ADMA Young Marketer and Young Creative competitions.