A marketer’s job would be so much easier of customers followed a set path. In fact, if buyers could fit into a convenient model that allowed us to identify, track, monitor, engage and convert them, life would be rosy. But this is never the case.
If we take a moment to consider the buyer’s journey based on our own experiences, we can yield insight but also understanding. Think, for example, of your last major purchase:
- How much time did you devote to research before your purchase?
- How many times did you test, validate and change your mind?
- How long did you wait before you actually engaged with a salesperson?
- Who did you ask for advice, reviews and input?
- What were the prompts that helped to trigger your decision and purchase?
- How much time did you spend online (email and mobile included) in the leadup to the decision?
Now, consider that your customers are going through very similar processes. Oracle Eloqua’s latest infographic provides some insight into this process. Clearly, their focus is on automating the process of marketing, but importantly, they are also showcasing the important role of integrated marketing. After all, we rarely make a decision based on a single interaction.